A Baroque masterpiece in the heart of Le Marais, a Jesuit jewel from the 17th century.
Description
Located in the historic Marais district, Saint‑Paul Saint‑Louis Parish is a standout example of Parisian Baroque architecture. Built between 1627 and 1641 under Louis XIII and Cardinal Richelieu by Jesuit architects Martellange and Derand, it broke away from Gothic norms and drew inspiration from Rome’s Chiesa del Gesù. Its striking façade and dome, reaching over 55 m, influenced later domes at Les Invalides and Val‑de‑Grâce.
Inside, a spacious, sunlit nave is flanked by chapels housing artistic treasures: Germain Pilon’s Vierge de douleur (1586), Delacroix’s Christ in Agony (1827), as well as impressive statues of the Sacred Heart and Virgin and Child. The grand pipe organ (three manuals, 56 stops) and choir organ add musical richness.
The parish offers religious services (Masses, confessions, Eucharistic adoration), youth catechism, community workshops, concerts, and outreach programs .
Rich in history, the church hosted famous sermons by Bourdaloue, survived revolutionary plundering and repurposing as a Temple of Reason, and was reinstated for worship in 1802. It underwent 19th‑century restoration by Victor Baltard, with recent renovations to the façade (2012), stained glass (2017‑2023), and organ (2023). Literary note: Victor Hugo, whose daughter Léopoldine was baptized and married here in 1843, donated the shell-shaped holy water fonts.
Open daily from 8 am to 8 pm (closed during services and Sunday mornings for visits), the church offers free entry with guided visits by volunteers on the first Sunday of each month at 3 pm. Professional guides and audioguides are required for group access. Respectful silence is requested.
Share on